View Single Post
Unread 18-07-2011, 08:49   #11
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
For decades passengers have complained of not being able to hear the announcements, the rule book requires a certain volume level to meet the current standards.

We completely agree that the length of announcements are excessive and provides no additional value. The main complaint is the sheer length and the unnecessary junk thrown in, the pointless, Ladies and gentlemen Iarnród Éireann welcomes you on board.... should be deleted immediately. We have discussed this with Irish Rail and strangely found a manager who agreed. However there are requirements which must be met

There is a legal obligation to provide the announcements in Irish.

There is a very complex series of rules which dictate the announcements. Generally falls under section 13 of the UK RVAR rules (all Irish trains are designed to meet UK regulations so they can be used in Northern Ireland) or the new EU Persons of Reduced Mobility TSI.
I've traveled 3 times from gorey to dublin on the intercity trains and all three tims the train was packed arriving into gorey. I pity the passengers from Arklow onwards especially wicklow.Speaking of the onboard announcements - what announcements all I read is 'This is coach A/b/c' Or the driver comes on and says as quickly as possible next station arklow all the way to dublin.I can understand russian and even the train driver spoke faster than them.

The old announcements were better . The next station is Bray.Passengers leaving the train at Bray please mind the gap. The announcements on the 28k which i heard a long time ago were somewhat faster but so much clearer.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote