View Single Post
Unread 18-07-2011, 12:44   #13
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

There is also a bug on down Longford commuter trains that trips at the points just before Edgeworthstown and announces it as Longford. This has been happening for at least the last seven years.

I find these announcements to be a right pain but they are vital for people with poor vision. I still wouldn't like to be dependent on them because they don't work particularly well. It is odd that the visual displays which are equally important for people with poor hearing are so inconsistently functional. One simple thing that Irish Rail could do to help matters would be to put up about four times as many station signs so that they were visible from any window of the train.

Of course, it would be more practically useful and less annoying to everyone if the Irish language version wasn't a legal requirement. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the emergency instructions on 22ks are written in only one language. Some doors have Irish and some have English. These signs must be just decorations because if they had any real impact on safety having them in Irish only would be a seriously dangerous thing to do given the level of understanding 80% of the population (including me) has.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote