View Single Post
Unread 07-01-2011, 14:49   #55
CorkALVIN
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by corktina View Post
I dont think that cheap airfares impact the ferry that much as their core business seems to be older people (who may not like flying) and families with lots of young children.
Add to those the large numbers of adventurous young backpackers from all corners of the world 'doing' Europe. Also, Cyclists, and when the dreaded volcanic ash or 'wrong kind of snow' strikes on the runways: everyone...

Interesting, BTW, what alan french mentioned about 'Trains at Holyhead becoming very full'. If you saw how so-called Arriva Trains North Wales is running down the service there, you would not be surprised: a route which used to boast regular Intercity trains to/ from Manchester and London and a decent regular slow service of 4-car loco hauled trains with guards van now has to make do with an irregular service of clapped-out 30 year old cramped two-car railcars with no decent luggage space at all, and only very rarely, a 4-car Virgin Train to/from London, all the trains often stop at every tiny local halt, even the night services which should really be for the ferry passengers only.
A few months ago, the 2-car train from Chester to Holyhead for the ferry was so crowded that the staff wouldnt allow me with my bicycle on board; only after a lot of angry complaining to the staff, after stressing that my ferry connection was essential, they put me and my bicycle on a TAXI to taek me the hundred or so miles to Holyhead; thanks to the very fast roads (The A55 is motorway standard) I arrived well before the struggling stopping train did. Believe you me, while we may complain about dreadfully slow or inadequate Rail connections on the Irish side, it can be every bit as bad over in Blighty, or even in other European countries where I have travelled, but I'd best save that for another day...