View Single Post
Unread 03-02-2012, 19:02   #1
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default [PR] 3D Secure for Credit Card Payments

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_news.jsp?i=4470&p=116&n=237
Quote:
We're going 3D Secure for Credit Card Payments Shortly!
02 February 2012

Iarnród Éireann will be shortly introducing 3D Secure to the online ticket purchasing system. 3D Secure will provide an extra layer of security and peace of mind to our customers during the purchasing process. We have compiled the following Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to make it easy for you to understand what to expect when we go live with 3-D Secure!

•What is 3D Secure?
•How it Works?
•Who developed 3D Secure?
•Why was 3D Secure developed?
•Why is it called ‘3D Secure’?
•Why is Iarnród Éireann adopting 3D Secure now?
•Were my ticket purchases secure before 3D Secure?
•I haven’t used 3D Secure before, what do I need to do?
•Do I need to update my credit card or get a new one before using 3D Secure?
•I have a Laser debit card, how does 3D Secure affect me?
•Is 3D Secure free?
•Do I need special software for 3D Secure?
•Will 3D Secure add extra time to my purchasing experience?
•I have used 3D Secure before, what do I need to do?
•What password should I select?
•I can’t remember my 3D Secure Password, who do I contact?
•Are there any alternatives to payment with 3D Secure?
•I don't wish to register with 3D Secure - can I still pay online?
•How can I find out more details about 3D Secure?
•What does my bank or card provider say about 3D Secure?

Q. What is 3D Secure?
A. 3-D Secure is a protocol used as an added layer of security for online credit and debit card transactions. This is achieved by adding another authentication step for online payments; a password.

Q. How it Works?
A. If you haven’t purchased an item online using 3D Secure before on any website, you will be redirected to your issuing credit card’s secure website where you must verify some personal details and select a password. You must never disclose this password to anyone – this is how you guarantee your card is secure. Do not write your password down anywhere.

Q. Who developed 3D Secure?
A. It was developed by Visa and named “Verified by Visa”. MasterCard then developed a service based on the same protocol called “MasterCard SecureCode”.

Q. Why was 3D Secure developed?
A. It was developed to improve the security of Internet payments by offering an extra layer of security to customers before making a purchase online. This involves selecting a password. This ensures your credit card cannot be used fraudulently as only the customer will know the associated password.

Q. Why is it called ‘3D Secure’?
A. '3D Secure' stands for "3 Domain Secure" as there are 3 parties involved in the online payment process: irishrail.ie, our Bank, and Visa or MasterCard.

Q. Why is Iarnród Éireann adopting 3D Secure now?
A. 3D Secure is compulsory, every bank will be required to implement this technology if they are to remain offering card services. All major banks around the world are either supporting 3D Secure or at advanced stage of offering it. What's more, if the merchant accepts 3D Secure, then the merchant is protected irrespective if the client's bank supports it or not.

Q. Were my ticket purchases secure before 3D Secure?
A. Yes, there is nothing to worry about. This additional step simply removes the possibility of someone else using your card fraudulently. Irishrail.ie has always used the strongest security standards and will continue to do so.

Q. I haven’t used 3D Secure before, what do I need to do?
A. If you haven’t purchased an item online using 3D Secure before on any website, you will be redirected to your issuing credit card’s secure website where you must verify some personal details and select a password. You must never disclose this password to anyone – this is how you guarantee your card is secure. Do not write your password down anywhere.

Q. Do I need to update my credit card or get a new one before using 3D Secure?
A. No, your existing credit card can be used.

Q. I have a Laser debit card, how does 3D Secure affect me?
A. Laser cards are processed through the MasterCard SecureCode element of 3D Secure.

Q. Is 3D Secure free?
A. Yes, 3D Secure is a free service provided by Visa and MasterCard.

Q. Do I need special software for 3D Secure?
A. No, 3D Secure will operate in your web browser as a webpage – you will not need to download any additional software or plugins.

Q. Will 3D Secure add extra time to my purchasing experience?
A. The 3D Secure authentication process is smoothly integrated into our online checkout process and will usually only add a few seconds to the normal transaction time. We believe this is a small price to pay for increased protection for our customers.

Q. I have used 3D Secure before, what do I need to do?
A. If you have purchased an item online using 3D Secure before, you will be asked to submit your chosen password during the purchasing process.

Q. What password should I select?
A. The password you decide to use should be chosen in such a way that nobody else can guess it. A secure password is ideally
•a minimum of 8 characters in length and
•a mixture of letters, numbers and characters.
•You should select a password that only you can memorise – do not write it down anywhere.
•Do not select a password that is the same as your irishrail.ie account.

Q. I can’t remember my 3D Secure Password, who do I contact?
A. If you can’t remember your 3D Secure password you need to contact your card issuer. Iarnród Éireann will never contact a customer to ask for 3D Secure password and we cannot help you retrieve forgotten 3D Secure passwords. We don’t save your 3D Secure password on any Iarnród Éireann computer system; when you selected your password this was saved only on the issuer’s computer system.

Q. Are there any alternatives to payment with 3D Secure?
A. If you have been unsuccessful in making a payment through 3D Secure please contact our customer information line hotline on 1850 366 222 (between 08:30hrs-18.00hrs, Monday to Friday) to make your payment over the phone.

Q. I don't wish to register with 3D Secure - can I still pay online?
A. Unfortunately not. Instead you will need to contact our sales hotline on 1850 366 222 (between 08.30-18.00, Monday to Friday) to make your payment over the phone.

Q. How can I find out more details about 3D Secure?
A. For further details on 3D Secure you need to contact your issuing bank. Alternatively, you can view demonstrations and FAQs on the following websites:
Verified by Visa - Information and Activation
Verified by Visa - Demonstration of using Verified by Visa (Flash plugin Required)
MasterCard SecureCode – Explanation, Sign up & Demonstration

Q. What does my bank or card provider say about 3D Secure?
Bank of Ireland
AIB
Ulster Bank
Permanent TSB
National Irish Bank (NIB)