View Single Post
Unread 28-06-2013, 12:36   #34
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
On one single train last year a total of 80 people were caught without a valid ticket, they all had tickets but when checked a strange pattern was discovered. RPU had been tipped off in advance based on an internal system which red flagged that train. 8000 euro in fines plus the fare difference

If you have a ticket you have nothing to worry about, if you don't you will be caught. Don't try to run either they have enough staff at each check to give chase now. Cost wise, the large scale checks are part staffed by management so no extra cost.

If we start with the assumption that fare evasion is about 5% of total, that's 1.8 million journeys per year, @ 5 euro for average yield per passenger that's 9 million

Reducing fare evasion from 5% to 4% is worth 1.8 million in increased revenues.

Focus is on
1. Adults with child tickets
2. Social welfare passes
3. Student tickets, no student ID
4. Use of stolen (hot) tickets
5. Sharing of annual tickets
What a scoop, 80 on the one train
Management should concentrate on getting the trains to run on time, this would also increase revenue, they are losing many passengers on my commuter route, I'm sure the same applies on other routes.
I'm a regular commuter and honestly it's a least 6 months since I've anyone hauled up at any station for not having a ticket. Most people commuting have the Taxsaver ticket. Why should the ordinary compliant commuter be constantly inconvenienced.

Last edited by grainne whale : 03-07-2013 at 12:44.
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote