View Single Post
Unread 21-05-2015, 13:36   #19
laoisfan
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Its 100 miles to Cork from Ballybrophy, totally crazy to commute and not something you want to encourage. Neither of the early Cork Dublin trains call Thurles.

Its a commercial choice, more stops means more time. The absence of a pre 9am arrival in Cork is a disgrace and has serious implications for business.
Would you agree that it's roughly 73 miles (thereabout) from Ballybrophy to Dublin?

If so....100 miles....73 miles....totally doable. I know people who drive up/down every day from Ballybrophy/Rathdowney to Cork. And I'm talking Cork City Centre here. Also Thurles.

Irish Rail seem to think that all signs point to Dublin. They made that mistake with the line from Limerick to Dublin via Nenagh, Roscrea etc. Smart thing to do might have been to try running it from Portlaoise to Limerick via Ballybrophy, Roscrea, Nenagh etc etc just to see if they could get people out of their cars!!

Edit: I've often have had to get up at 5:30am/6:00am to go into Portlaoise to catch a train to Dublin to make a 8:30am start in Eastpoint. Getting up at this time or a small bit later to drive to Thurles to catch a train to Cork (assuming it made Kent Station at 8:30am at the latest) would not be a big deal.

Ballybrophy-Templemore-Thurles are ideal locations for commuting to Dublin, Limerick & Cork via Irish Rail. Totally doable.

Last edited by laoisfan : 21-05-2015 at 13:39.
laoisfan is offline   Reply With Quote