View Single Post
Unread 18-11-2009, 15:23   #9
Traincustomer

Default Some thoughts

I don't favour the Bus Éireann stop being relocated unless it is to a purpose built integrared bus/rail interchange with easy and safe access to the town centre.I certainly don't advocate the bus stop being relocated to some far flung spot with cars taking its place. Clearly there is a need for car parking too but from my observations when rail stations are upgraded in Ireland the only focus is on car parking with no thought given to bus interchange. (There are of course a few exceptions). Certainly there is a case for a proper bus station/rail station interchange at Wexford - not only for Bus Éireann but for Wexford Bus and Ardcavan coaches. The Wexford Bus stops are outside Dunnes and opposite Dunnes.

I see it as a positive for the town that the buses and trains stop so close to the town centre. There may be scope for a bus station-car park complex on the far side of the tracks connected by a walkway to the existing station but I'd like to see the train station retained where it is. There's probably no ideal solution and any change is several years away in the current climate.

A freight yard (I presume near Ferrycarrig?) is an excellent idea.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote