View Single Post
Unread 22-12-2007, 10:26   #29
James Shields

My point was that there are a limited number of slots over the loop bridge, so running Maynooth to Roslare (for example) makes more efficient use of those slots (and for that matter, makes better use of trains since they aren't hanging around for 20 mins). If they were to stop doing it, they would have to run less trains. Having said that, the loop line is not being used to its full potential. I also think it would be better if the service was a new Intercity DMU running Longford to Roslare.

I got the impression you were getting on at Connolly, but it sounds like you're joining it at Pearse. I'm not surprised most of the seats are taken by Pearse, but the fact there are still Maynooth passengers getting off at that point means that you stand a chance of getting a seat. I'd guess there are probably a few Maynooth to Dun Laoghaire passengers, again giving you a chance of nabbing a seat mid way through the journey.

I agree there are probably a lot of passengers who would get on at Pearse but go over to Connolly to get a seat. I know there are a lot of people doing the reverse for the Maynooth and Drogheda trains too. The new footbridge makes this a lot easier on foot, but I'm sure there are also people who arrive early and take a DART over to the other station.

I wasn't saying that passengers from Maynooth significantly increase the numbers on the Roslare service. My point was that cutting out some of the stops south of Pearse would make the service less viable. I may have goofed here, thinking you were going to Roslare and looking for an almost non-stop service. I would think the majority of passengers using the service are for stops between Bray and Gorey, and the leg south of Gorey is fairly sparsely populated.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote