View Single Post
Unread 25-06-2006, 20:19   #3
Derek Wheeler

I back up what Mark posted. The two particular things that struck me were the "easy" printed timetables on the platforms showing the departures from that station and the backlit station signs. Well lit station names are very useful to all travellers, both regular and random. That is lacking on the IE network. I appreciate that a PIS announces stops and shows them, but a simple back lit sign is easy, in the event of a PIS fault.

It was also noticeable that all posters in central Station were coming from a customer service perspective rather than an engineering one. Translink promoted the fact that they had "user groups" across their transport modes and encouraged people to join them so they could have a say in how services are run. This contrasts with IE, who don't want to engage with P11.

NI Railways (as its now known) had staff that were very professional and well turned out. Central Station was "transformed" since I last saw it and everyone working in it appeared to take pride in this new environment. Considering it was originally built in 1976, this 21st century overhaul has served it well. Perhaps they have escaped the shackles of emulating CIE.

As for the CK3s, I found them to be remarkable. (albeit a short trip) Ticket checker was impeccable. (I know its just one trip out of the blue) Considering that though, the experience, compared to a similar commuter line in the south, (Kildare line) was astounding.

Our next trip will be on the Derry line. This section is woefully under developed, yet it forms the route which leads to the rail head for North Donegal in the Republic. We have contact with the "into the west lobby group" in Derry. While we don't support any connection southwards towards the WRC, we have expressed an interest in working with them in relation to developing the existing Derry - Dublin corridor with a 3 hour 30 minute journey time.

Mark,we took photos of various things, please post them up with references to what we were talking about.