View Single Post
Unread 27-06-2021, 16:04   #63
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The line is not closing, its being suspended which is quite different. Independent engineering consultants will review the line on a regular basis. If the line is not maintained in line with the agreed standard (which will go further than Irish Rail's proposal to the NTA) Irish Rail will be required by contract to sort it out.
A couple of weeks ago, I took the first train of the day down from Dublin to Waterford and cycled to Rosslare, returning back to Dublin on the last train.

There are a couple of level crossings near Wellingtonbridge where my road route came close to the old railway line. I'm not sure what standard has to be maintained on this line, but from what I could see there were plenty of high weeds along the line and the level crossings were silted up - it's clearly a long time since a train went along this route to ensure its viability is maintained.

I'd prefer to see this route reinstated rather than turn it into another Greenway - the road route is quiet enough anyway. Some upgrade will definitely be required though.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote