View Single Post
Unread 26-03-2014, 16:28   #20
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainne whale View Post
From a legal point of view - it could be argued that the passenger was sold a ticket that was not fit for purpose, no effort was made as to the type of return ticket the passenger required. Personally I would take this matter up with the National Consumer Agency, they have a website where you can report matters via email.http://www.consumerhelp.ie/report-a-business I hope this is of some use.
It could have been perfectly valid and fit for purpose, given the OP was arriving at 12:00, and there are return trains virtually every hour until 21:00.

What's needed is common sense by both parties - the clerk certainly should have asked when the OP was returning, but at the same time the OP should have checked the ticket, as it is (legally) their responsibility to have the correct ticket for their journey. In much the same way if I'm checking a bag in at the airport, I always check the baggage tag to make sure the correct flight is entered.

Having said all of that, I think making the entire network a penalty fares area is probably taking things too far - people do make genuine mistakes.

I think having it in the commuter areas is perfectly valid, but some middle ground ought to be found for Intercity trips.

Last edited by berneyarms : 26-03-2014 at 16:42.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote