View Single Post
Unread 21-02-2014, 22:42   #17
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
I've never said that the 18:05 is lightly loaded. On the contrary it is the prime commuter service between Maynooth and Longford and I've taken it and the corresponding Intercity before it 4 days a week for 10 years. The 1715 and the old 1817 were completely pointless. The 1600 isn't a hugely useful service, but it does take a lot of student traffic on a Friday.
I'll take you word but if I remember when it changed to a 29000 recently you said it's very lightly loaded at Maynooth. I agree about the 16.00 service today and even a 4 car 29 would of done. Anyone on the 17.05 today, I have saw no complains about severe over crowding on it so IE got lucky today possibly.

Quote:
It's not as if anybody who travels the Sligo route regularly hasn't seen this coming. With all of the rain over the last few weeks, it was no surprise to me that this was about to happen. Surely, somebody at Irish Rail could have made the same judgement call and started making plans to put proper bus substitutions in place and perhaps try to avoid rostering sets nearing service in Sligo over the weekend. Failing that, if the set was out of hours, they shouldn't have used it - just dropped entirely to bus substitution. It's a matter of failing to manage risk that culminated in imprisoning passengers for 4 and a half hours.
I wouldn't say it was out of hours but like everything if its not checked when scheduled then reliability of it will drop but by no means will anything happen. It seems like a major failure of the set which don't happen a lot. I would be interested to know is if there was any indications of a fault earlier during the day.

Sligo and Mayo are more less the two liens that are very isolated if there is problems. If it was on Cork, Galway or Waterford routes it's quiet easy to get rolling stock rotated.

I fully agree it's not acceptable and some bad decisions made. They have being some signs they have changed there way after what happened in July.

Quote:
It's not as if anybody who travels the Sligo route regularly hasn't seen this coming. With all of the rain over the last few weeks, it was no surprise to me that this was about to happen. Surely, somebody at Irish Rail could have made the same judgement call and started making plans to put proper bus substitutions in place and perhaps try to avoid rostering sets nearing service in Sligo over the weekend. Failing that, if the set was out of hours, they shouldn't have used it - just dropped entirely to bus substitution. It's a matter of failing to manage risk that culminated in imprisoning passengers for 4 and a half hours.
If IE were to make a judgment call on the Waterford route for example last week the only section on line open would be Athy-Carlow. Thankfully the last few days have helped. As the 5.45 and 7.00 got through levels must of rose very fast and if those services hadn't got through then we would have significant problems and full bus transfers for everybody. They would not be able to supply trains to cope then.

Might also be worth saying a few train sets may be out of action from hitting trees recently. This being one:
http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/ki...torm-1-5888465

The problem here isn't the bus transfers but not advancing the timetable.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 22-02-2014 at 00:19.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote