View Single Post
Unread 01-11-2007, 00:24   #10
Rushed2nowhere
New to the board

I saw this in this week’s edition of the Wicklow Times (a free weekly) - 31/10/07:

Quote:
"Council urged to "get together with CIE to reopen Avoca Station"

Minister Dick Roche has been in contact for some time with the CIE group regarding the reopening of Avoca railway station and he has revealed that his latest contacts with the chairman of the group, Dr. John Lynch have provided, "the first tangible evidence that Coras Iompair Eireann is willing to actively reconsider its position on Avoca Station."

In correspondence to Minister Roche the Chairman of the CIE group has pointed out that in other parts of the country Iarnrod Eireann is now cooperating with councils and developers on the reopening of former stations.
"Given the very significant amount of new estates developed in Avoca, Aughrim and in other towns and villages which could provide a 'catchment area' for a commuter service from Avoca, the chairman of the CIE group has suggested that in Wicklow the same policy could be adopted as has been adopted in other counties which links development activity with the reopening of railway stations"
Welcoming Dr Lynch's letter, Minister Roche said 'This is the first time that we have had a positive indication from Iarnrod Eireann or the CIE group that it would positively consider the reopening of Avoca.I suggested to the County Council that it might become much more pro-actively involved in the project than it has done to date and that it should make every effort to ensure that development in the Avoca catchment area in the future is linked to the possibility of reopening the station. I believe very strongly that the council could, as the planning authority, operate to bring together development interests and the CIE group to good effect in this case.'"
Rushed2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote