View Single Post
Unread 18-11-2018, 14:58   #11
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
They coped for 20 years on the route, using the ICR is the easy way out. Last year they had capacity, this year they had to use the spare ICR and have now had to stop it. From what I understand it returned to Drogheda to stable each day therefore not available if required. ICRs should not be operating Belfast services, no excuses. If they could have got away with removing it from the 07.19 ex Newbridge it would still be operating to Belfast today.

Didn't IE remove sanding equip out of 201s in the past, prehaps it should be re-installed on a few?

There is not 6 Mark IVs in full time usage and they still have a spare set. This must be addressed because its frankly unacceptable that a 7 car ICR operates the 19.00 to Cork Friday. If there are maintenance issues (I don't believe this excuse) then its up to IE to sort them out. They were generally reliable towards the late 2000s.

I fully appreciate the fleet is under serious pressure however it doesn't mean IE cannot provide a better service.
It was at a talk at some point that a member of CME staff said that the Mark 4 sets were under too much pressure. As I understand it there are 6 sets in daily use, the sixth coming out later in the day (earlier on Fridays and weekends).

That leaves one full spare set and then a second as maintenance cover.

As for Belfast - the LRA causes massive issues on the first northbound train on the bank north of Dundalk. That is a fact - I’ve experienced it which you clearly have not. It crawled and I mean crawled. It could barely move.

This is the third year they have temporarily used an ICR to cover that trip - the loco hauled trains are ok after that.

As far as I know the ICR has now been removed from Belfast as the issue has diminished to manageable levels. Nothing more than that. I think you’re adding two and two and making five!
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote