View Single Post
Unread 16-11-2009, 01:15   #3
Cllr Joe Ryan
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavanrailbus View Post
If it is the case that a connection between the afternoon Dublin – Waterford and Waterford – Rosslare Europort train genuinely cannot be physically facilitated, does this not infer a need to reconfigure signalling/platform layout at Waterford Plunkett?

Equally – as I believe was already excellently suggested by another poster in this forum some time ago – would a second platform at Wexford O’Hanrahan better meet traffic requirements than the loop to the north of the station? Alternatively the existing platform could be worked as two separate platforms with possible lengthening of same.
I agree whole heartedly. It's my view that O'Hanrahan Station should be re-configured to move the rail line eastwards towards the embankment and to allow Bus Eireann to take their buses off REdmond Square and to provide car parking. O'Hanrahan station must be unique certainly for a station in town of Wexford's size in having no car parking. How can services be integrated if there is no car parking for passengers and bus spaces are restricted to 2?
The present station building is listed and would have an alternative commercial use in a redesign as it fronts onto Redmond Square. I'm not aware fo any other railway station within 30 seconds of a Dunnes Stores and 100 M of the main shoppiing street. Land should be re-zoned for a potential freight yard near the town by-pass where trucks can access it easily. I made these points to both planners and IE management when they met WBC to discuss the future of Rosslare Harbour in the contxt of the withdrawl of P&O in 2005. I was told that GB freight wouldn't handle the then volumes IE were doing in freight and that freight had no future in Wexford.
Cllr Joe Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote