View Single Post
Unread 29-02-2012, 10:35   #5
Lyle Langley
New to the board

Thanks for such a thorough reply Colm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
In any case, Rialto-St. James's would have been too big a gap.
I am guessing I could walk between Fatima and Rialto in about 60 seconds if I did it fast.. it would in my view make far more sense to put a stop between the two, which would cut a nice bit of time off overall journeys. It'd be a start anyway. Rialto tends not to be an especially busy stop. I find, particularly out-of-town-bound but also town-bound, Drimnagh and Golden Bridge tend to be quiet too.

"I've not paid attention recently, but can you still access Reuben Street directly from the stop"
Yes, it is almost directly opposite Fatima and Reuben Street was reopened some time ago. There is now a cafe, taxi rank, gym, pool off the street and a butcher on the way.

Quote:
In the future, if the Lucan line is built, they could look at making certain trams limited stops, but it could only happen when there was a much higher frequency on the Blackhorse-Fatima section.
There is the proposal (which is unfunded) to provide a parallel to the Red Line, but with fewer stops. The current preferred route is Fatima-James's Street (bypassing James's stop)-Thomas Street-Dame Street - http://www.rpa.ie/Maps/Luas%20Line%2...201008.map.jpg although personally I'd prefer a more southern route via The Coombe and Kevin Street - http://www.rpa.ie/Maps/Luas%20Line%2...200907.map.pdf (this map out of date) However, in the scheme of things, funding for other projects is likely to come well before this. It would be much better to build DART Underground (even if only the Docklands-Heuston section) than this.
That's interesting. When you say 'parallel to the red line' do you mean basically another track beside it? That'd be an excellent idea. People would pay more if needed be for quicker trams.

Quote:
They still get more than 95% of people to pay. They are primarily there for customer service, ticket checking is secondary, so hi-vis is important..
I have found luas ticket inspectors taken aback if you approach them and never got the impression they had a customer service remit, or at least that they were bound to one. What customer service is needed? The bi-lingual lady talks so much on the PA, it's hard to think what customer service is required additionally!
95 per cent is obviously a high figure but 1 in 20 not paying still means a massive loss. I frequently see people stopping themselves from boarding a luas on account of seeing the inspectors!

Last edited by Colm Moore : 29-02-2012 at 18:26. Reason: [\QUOTE] = Broken
Lyle Langley is offline   Reply With Quote