View Single Post
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:28   #8
on the move
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Langley
I have found luas ticket inspectors taken aback if you approach them and never got the impression they had a customer service remit, or at least that they were bound to one. What customer service is needed? The bi-lingual lady talks so much on the PA, it's hard to think what customer service is required additionally!
95 per cent is obviously a high figure but 1 in 20 not paying still means a massive loss. I frequently see people stopping themselves from boarding a luas on account of seeing the inspectors!
Luas ticket inspectors main job it seems to me, is to board a tram, check a few tickets, and yap for half an hour or so with their hands in their pockets, before strolling onto another one. I've often offered to have my ticket checked but I'm waved away instead, too busy chatting to notice. I sometimes wonder that after hanging around each other all day long, what exactly they have left to discuss. If they were doing their job competently, they would be on every other tram checking every ticket until the last one was checked. Occasionally they do, but there are certain stops, trams, and times of day they tend to be more interested in than others, and if a passenger knows the system, fare evasion is pretty easily done.

As regards stops, some of the locations are good, and some of them are baffling. 4 stops along a short stretch of canal, yet only 3 between Kingswood and Kylemore, a vast stretch of line, with one stop in the wrong place, is just one example. It would be an interesting development if certain stops took only certain trams, but that usually only affects Connolly at the moment, and is a situation unlikely to change in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Langley
The bi-lingual lady talks so much on the PA, it's hard to think what customer service is required additionally!
She is Doireann Ni Bhriain, RTE Presenter, who is fluent in 3 languages, and presented Eurovision back as far as 1981. Sometimes I think she does a better job of relaying information than the humans paid to give it.

Last edited by on the move : 01-03-2012 at 10:43.
on the move is offline   Reply With Quote