View Single Post
Unread 09-12-2012, 00:02   #2
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Hi, welcome to the board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexderFranke View Post
getsome
I'm not sure what this word means, do you mean "available"?

Quote:
wayfarers
= "routes" or "passengers"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexderFranke View Post
The Irish rail timetables have almost all the great lack of trains in the later evening. In many countries in Europe, there are trains on most routes up til midnight, on main routes even almost round the clokc. This is true not only for Irish trains, but for Bus Éireann as well. Trains every hour at the same minute are lacking, too, on most train links.
There are a number of problems:
* Total population and population density is much lower here.
* Too many people live in the countryside compared to towns. As they would have to drive to the station to get a train, many just continue their journey by car.
* The car is seen as a status symbol and public transport is seen as something for the poor, students, etc. This means that those who make decisions in society are often married to their cars and see no incentive for facilitating public transport and every incentive for facilitating cars.
* For too long, public transport hasn't been run on a commercial basis.

Quote:
The pricing of online fares could be bettered. I have heeded that cheapened fares are almost only getsome on wayfares on routes to and from Dublin. For the sake of winning more wayfarers on train, truly cheapened tickets ought to be getsome for links between towns other than those that are on one route to and from Dublin.
The vast majority of passengers are coming or going from Dublin and less so the other cities. There is very little demand for travel between the other cities and between towns in one region to another region (other than to Dublin).

Quote:
The prices for cheapened tickets ought to be set alone by the span of kilometres, for byspell 0 - 100 km = 10 € 100 - 200 km = 15 € and above 200 km = 20 € if booked 3 days before. This will get more wayfarers into the trains who would otherwise go by bus only.
They have a team of people who study this. One issue is that children, students, young people, people with disabilities and pensioners have reduced fares or free travel already. This makes reduced fares slightly redundant.

Quote:
I have heeded that fares to Kerry and Cork are outstandingly high game off against other wayfares on train. Before, there were 10 € off-peak tickets from and to Kerry and Cork, too. But now, only 25 € tickets are getsome. I wonder why? Why did they not keep 10 € tickets on off-peak trains on all routes?
It may be that having lower fares didn't increase the number of customers enough to cover hte lower price.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 09-12-2012 at 00:19.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote