View Single Post
Unread 21-04-2008, 17:07   #4
sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
changing the paint whilst Rome burns is a cod. same as re-branding t21 for several hundred thousand euros.

it's an outragious and disgusting waste of taxpayers money and it means nothing. zilch. nada. all it gets is Demspey a photo op. this country is a disgrace.
With respect, I disagree.

Integration is an essential part of a transport service, I remember when I visited Germany I was very impressed with the transport systems in Munich and Berlin, particulrly Berlin's BVG, not just with the fact that they had trains everywhere thought that helped) but the fact that everything went under the authority branding, and I had an extensive choice of all-modes tickets.

It just seemed to be a single system, even though there may have been dozens of companies actually involved in the service, I would be hard pressed to name any of them other than perhaps Deutsche Bahn.

This sort of thing is important for a city travel system, particularly for new/occasional users. Someone who just wants to get from A to B with a minimum of hassle and doesn't really care who operates what or what their fares policies, this that or the other is.

Doing something similar in Dublin is NOT "changing the paint whilst Rome burns" because Rome ain't exactly on fire. Investment is accelerating, new lines are to be opened for the DART, Luas and Metro, while the Interconnector will bring it all together. There is some certainty of these things happening so the cost of a bit of paint is very little in the grand scheme of things.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote