View Single Post
Unread 25-04-2008, 11:03   #5
zag
Regular Poster

Default Illegal to take photos ?

Mark,

I hope we don't have some weird special case law in place. From my vague understanding of the law in this area if you are standing 'in the street' you can photograph everything and anything you want. Standing on a platform or within CIE property is a different story. They can make up their own rules there.

I remember reading about a case in the US recently where people were approached on the street and told to stop taking photos of a 'non-descript building' in the middle of a town. Some of the people had their cameras confiscated. The building was an 'unmarked' NSA facility.

This if course set off a war of words between the two sides. One side was of the view that if you're a patriot you will do what the forces of good instruct you to do. Taking a photo of this building is compromising national security. The other side was naturally asking what specific law was being breached by taking the photos and since when did you have to get approval to take a photo of a streetscape ?

I digress a bit.

My point was that unless we had some very specific regulations in place I don't think there is any issue at all with taking photos of anything you want from the 'public highway". If we had any miliatary facilities in this country there might be some exception, but I don't think there is any such exception for the rail infrastructure.

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote