Thread: Rail & Sail
View Single Post
Unread 26-08-2007, 23:57   #8
91101_GNER
New to the board

I don't know if its because I know the UK "system" inside and out, from tickets and fares, discount rates (everything from Young Persons Railcards, Family Railcards, to Staff Privildege "Priv" cards) to how the industry is structured as a business, and as a proposition to passengers.

My railway interest is in the business and operational aspects rather than rolling stock and traction.

One thing that immediately comes to mind which is a sharp contrast is that of clarity of information, I book a ticket in the UK, and I can find out all of the restrictions and conditions that apply to that ticket. When I did it on IE's website, it had general conditions of carriage, but there wasn't a lot else that was clear.

Our journey planner, which ATOC run at www.nationalrail.co.uk is more seamless than IE's website, and there is a greater degree on information abotu the onboard catering offer than I've found on IE's website thus far.

IE don't seem to be on a relentlesss push to force their passengers into advance purchase tickets, and fares are much more affordable. For me to go to London from Newcastle it's £200 return for an open (well for me its acoutally about £50, but the average Joe on the street its over £200).

We also have 24hour train information, live with a real person through 08457484950. It's not perfect but its a very, very good service.
91101_GNER is offline   Reply With Quote