View Single Post
Unread 05-02-2006, 01:15   #17
Derek Wheeler

"Our man Derek" had more on his plate today than a dumped MK3 coach in Kildare.

Arrived for the 09.28 service to Cork from Kildare. At 9.25 an announcement is made that the next train on Platform 1 is to Cork. Passengers for Limerick, change at the junction, Passengers for Killarney and Tralee change at Mallow. No mention of passengers for Roscrea and Nenagh, changing at Ballybrophy. Obviously, this particular service doesn't enter the mindset this close to Heuston!

Also announced was the fact that the train was running 10 mins late. The 10 mins late bit was announced 3 times, but alas, no apology at any point. Train arrives and departs 8 mins late. "Stand clear of all doors" announcement is made along with arrival at station announcements. (also included was the little "bing bong" bit. nice touch, but spoilt by background noise as usual. Who said they could'nt wait for automated announcements on the new CDE sets?)

Ticket checker was shabby on this service and catering guy(no uniform) insisted on calling me "mate". Arrive at Limerick Junction still 8 mins late. Fair enough. No apology.(obviously in betweeny stops don't matter) Its only 8 mins, but so what, say sorry anyway. It makes you feel better.

Return journey was 17.30 ex Limerick, direct. Listed as having trolley service. As usual, no trolley service or even any sign of a trolley or staff. But hey,this happens all the time and people don't even bother complaining. I didn't miss it myself, but if its meant to have one then it should as somebody (5 in my carraige) obviously cared as they asked about it. Anyway, no door announcements. 9 minute delay at Ballybrophy. No reason. Connection was on time. Fast stop and depart at Portlaoise and arrival at Kildare still 9 - 10 mins down. Pretty uneventful I know, but one positive..... the ticket checker was a non-national (is that PC?) He was turned out in impeccable fashion, smiled, was friendly and a credit to IE.

Ive taken this service before and its always empty. Its preceeded by a 17.10 connection to the junction, but onward stops are different. Seems like a bit of a stock movement feature. Any thoughts on that?
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote