View Single Post
Unread 15-09-2010, 16:20   #32
corktina
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccos View Post
Wrong are you telling me that what works in many other countys wont work here? These larger populations are not homogunous and these countries have lots of sparsley populated regions and what about Luxembourg its smaller then Ireland

Wrong. The Uk has both a better rail and motorway network then Ireland.

All countries with better railways than Ireland have better motorways, in fact the railways thrive despite all the motorways.

Contrary to what IE would have us believe it is not Motorways that kill railways, it is poor frequencys, usless timetables and shoddy services.

Cork Dublin route is the busiest in the country despite most of the road between the two being motorway. Whats the number of the motorway between Waterford and Rosslare? I cant seem to find it, in fact its the one route in Ireland where the railway is substansially shorter.

Car journeys are nearly always quicker and cheaper everywhere else as well yet the railways are busy
I have told you already my opinion that ireland is different to most countries because of its popualtion spread (lack of it really)and I have demonstrated as requested one example where the rail route is better than a motorway route.SO Im not wrong thanks.

Cork to Dublin is an hourly 7 coach train.It may be the busiest in the country but it isnt anywhere near full on most journeys.

My point of course is not the status quo but the future. Rail will not be able to hold its market share, never mind increase it where it is slower and more expensive than driving.this is what I said before "if they dont buck up their ideas and improve their services they are going to be on a downward spiral."
corktina is offline   Reply With Quote