View Single Post
Unread 10-03-2012, 10:54   #9
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
From time to time the mk4 sets operate short a coach due a failure

Over a week every set works every service so it luck of the draw

There was talk of having 2 9 coach sets in the past but the rostering issue put an end to that
Not sure how many sets are currently operating with a reduced formation, but at least three sets were simultaneously operating with seven coaches at various times over the last few months. Indeed I believe that a six car formation had an outing in recent times.

In honesty seven coaches are generally adequate for even the busiest Cork trains. Where there are problems it usually involves services with connections to/from the Kerry line or those with stops at intermediate stations between Dublin and Portlaoise. Indeed most of the Cork trains I have used in recent years rarely load much over 200 passengers, well within the capacity of a seven coach Mk4 and typically within the capacity of a 3-car ICR. Obviously weekends are a bit busier especially if there are sporting events taking place.

Given the level of spare capacity available on most Heuston services, it is now rare for Irish Rail to operate special trains even on busy days such as today when the Ireland V Scotland Rugby International takes place. As far as I am aware the only additional service is a 2030 to Galway, presumeably because the last scheduled service is too late to accommodate returning supporters.

Last edited by Inniskeen : 10-03-2012 at 10:58.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote