View Single Post
Unread 27-05-2006, 17:10   #10
Graham
New to the board

Alas not from Dundalk Sean if it's a security alert or disturbance to services, as they're usually fairly short notice, meaning a four-car 2900 set is hauled up from Drogheda for use, while the Northerners are left to face the buses.
Only when an Enterprise loco breaks down (very rare nowadays thank goodness) that a nice Mk2 set is put on. So rare in fact that I've only had to use one in replacement of the Enterprise in five years. Had lots of fun on the NIR models mentioned though over the years, not to mention a host of other indiscribeables

But yes Sean I have read with bemusement, but also whole-hearted sympathy and agreement your rants over the years regarding the monstrous 2900s.
It's an old chestnut now whinging about how bad they are, but it can get irritating when you hear soothing 'ah they're not that bad' 'I used one the other day and had a pleasant ride' remarks about them. Try using these headache-generating, converted milk bottles Pritt-Sticked onto lawnmower engines every day of the week, day in day out, at 7.15 in the morning, or 19.00 in the evening, for an hour and a half, often standing, being frozen out of it in winter with the doors gaping open, the heating being turned off when leaving the station for the rest of the journey, the throbbing engines vibrating through your body for 90 minutes, their roar throbbing through you head, their noise eliminating the ability to listen to the radio or walkman on what are commuter trains, their operations interfering with radio signals, their noise often even hampering conversation on the trains, their horrendous acoustics permitting the noise to bounce around the cabins like crateload of ping-pong balls, the monstrous views of hunks of PVC-clad wall for the length of your journey, the unnecessary stickers tacked onto the windows reducing limited sightlines even further, the harsh florescent lighting, the lack of even carpet on the floor…
The list is endless.

They most certainly are an improvement on the 2600 and 2700, but then so is Dick Roche on Martin Cullen - I pity the poor souls who have had these yokes inflicted on them; as far as I remember in one of these, there isn’t a single airline seat that has a window view.

The notion that we are stuck with this lot for probably the next 20 years fills me utter horror. It’s the stuff of nightmares.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote