View Single Post
Unread 28-08-2010, 11:50   #18
brendan
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan French View Post
I wonder what the train movements will be like in Connolly at weekends. They typically have about 37 minutes layover, so each train will have to move out of the way before returning to its departure platform. If they use the lower line (via Newcomen Junction) they will have to use platform 7.
But doesn't this begs the question, why is P7 Connolly the final stop? I thought that the purpose of terminating Maynooth trains at P7 was that the Connolly didn't have additional capacity at peak times, and P7 got over this problem and meant that conflicts with other trains/DARTs were avoided. This should not be an issue offpeak and at weekends.

Given that it seems there is idle time of over half an hour before the return journey starts, I think all stations from Dunboyne to Pearse should be served (without any extra trains or drivers needed). Serving Tara St and Pearse would make the service more attractive for many potential Dunboyne passengers. It could also get the frequency from Clonsilla to Drumcondra down to half an hour most of the time. Serving all stations would add only 7 mins to the journey to Connolly.

I'd argue that the Mon-Fri off peak trains should also go all stations to Connolly/Pearse for the same reasons. Very few people want to go to Docklands, apart for people commuting to/from work. When the station opened, the original timetable had trains to Clonsilla throughtout the day. In reality the demand for Docklands did not exist between 10am and 4pm, and the trains were dropped in the next timetable. While the demand maybe a bit higher from Dunboyne (because they don't have the alternative of services to Connolly!), I would have doubts about how busy it will be.

Overall, I think this timetable is a bit of a wasted opportunity. I think that going to Docklands off peak, not going to Pearse at weekends, and not serving Coolmine to Drumcondra will mean the usage will be much lower than it should be.
brendan is offline   Reply With Quote