View Single Post
Unread 10-05-2008, 17:13   #87
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Personally, I think CIE in general is fixated on putting passengers through gates and herding them around like sheep

On Iarnrod Eireann we've ridiculous levels of ticket checking instead e.g. take a Cork-Dublin train and you'll be forced to queue for a good 20 mins for no apparent reason.
There is a reason, however it may not be apparent. The train comes in at around xx:40, cleaner has to go through to pick up anything you didn't give them while you were on the train, and then safety checks and door checks etc. Most trains start boarding at xx:05 or xx:10 for a xx:30 departure.
Quote:
Then your ticket's checked, punched etc and then when you're on board it's checked again!
Yes, usually between Thurles and Heuston. The only station on the way up where there are ticket gates is Limerick Junction, so it's not outside the bounds of possibilities for a ticketless passenger to have got on the train in the meantime.
Quote:
Wouldn't an on-board check suffice ? If you don't have a valid ticket, huge standard fare fine and kicked off at the next stop.
See above. Anyway there are plenty of circumstances where a person may legitimately not have a valid ticket and needs the ticket checker to get to them.
Quote:
On DART it's like they want to just create chaos at the busiest city centre stations at rush hour.
Well, it stands to reason that there will be most passengers at the busiest stations. I wouldn't say it's chaotic, though. Generally at the stations with exit validation there's a defined set of "in" barriers and a defined set of "out" barriers at peak time to avoid people running into each other.
Quote:
Why not have proper working entry barriers at stations in the suburbs and that way people wouldn't be getting in with out tickets in the first place.
Because then they could get on at Greystones with a ticket to Bray and travel up to Connolly. When the fare isn't a flat per-journey (like for example the New York subway) checks at both ends are needed.
Quote:
Couple this with random checks and it should be fine.
I've had my ticket checked on board a DART a grand total of once in the year and eight months I've been living in Dublin. It's already laughably easy to fare-evade on the DART (between the right stations) and I don't think IÉ has the staff for this.
Quote:

As it stands they're creating major crushes at Connolly, Pearse, Heuston etc at rush hour.

Also, where they're herding people into 'pens' they really should be aware of the potential for law suit if someone falls or is crushed. I'd say if they do find someone's fallen as a result they could be faced with a very hefty legal bill as.

As for CIE operated busses (Dublin Bus / Bus Eireann City/Commuter services) - same fixation with door-based ticket checking / purchasing.
To be honest it's not really a major issue on Dublin Bus from my experience. Most people are using prepaid tickets anyway. And I don't think the Department of Transport is going to tender for 6,000 ticket machines to sit at bus stops.
Quote:
The amount of time wasted at bus stops while people hunt for change etc is ridiculous. It's actually causing traffic jams in many areas where there aren't dedicated bus lanes. Boarding a bus shouldn't be any more complex than boarding a Luas tram.
The Luas is certainly Dublin transport's success story. Maybe when integrated ticketing comes in, it'll all be better...
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote