View Single Post
Unread 19-09-2016, 10:45   #291
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Shields View Post
I agree. Broombridge currently has very low usage at present. If the new station works, the majority of users are likely to be transferring between Luas and Commuter Train (and hopefully eventually DART).

Irish Rail and RPA should see that paying two fares, even if they're on one integrated ticket, is a major disincentive to transferring, and it doesn't take a very big disincentive to make people decide they'll just take their car into town.

So by IE and RPA being unwilling to accept a small loss of revenue from a combined fare, both lose out on many journeys.

Of course, it's difficult to prove that overall revenue will be increased by combined fares, and I agree it's something that a higher power needs to impose upon them.

James
It's not a case of IE having to accept a small drop in revenue - they've repeatedly had to do this in terms of the introduction of LEAP (which had extra back office costs) and subsidy reductions.

I'm sure they would both be prepared to do it if they were compensated by an increase in their subsidy.

The directors of IE have a responsibility to ensure it is run in a financially sound manner. Shocks to the system aren't affordable any more.

Ultimately we need the politicians to realise that proper public transport in Dublin needs a major increase in funding.

We have got to the point where any changes in fare structures have to be paid by increased subsidy levels.

The NTA set the fares now and it is incumbent upon them to look for funding. However their CEO recently commented that her hands are tied to a degree because of the lack of additional public funds, which is clearly a function of the mess our country's finances are in.

Last edited by berneyarms : 19-09-2016 at 10:48.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote