View Single Post
Unread 11-03-2010, 14:00   #50
ColmmacO
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin88 View Post
People, be reasonable and see the big picture here please.

Read the facts first.

The report is available on www.iot.ie so you can judge for yourself. In this case the report looked at the Irish Rail plans first, and as I recall spent alot of time on them. Remember also that the original engineers were probably told "we want it to go from here to here" and had to work with that. It also looks like they didn't bother to bring in the population centres along the way (see http://www.inchicoreDARTstation.com)

(1) Considering CIÉ/Irish Rail don't have a track record with consulting with anyone except their property developer and FF hack loaded board, do you think that it is likely that they consulted properly with any residents along the route?
(2) CIÉ/IR Failed to comply with the Aarhus Convention, which is a European directive which it has taken Ireland 10 years to implement (not quite there)
(3)Assurances from CIÉ are not worth the paper they are printed on, and you as a passenger should know that.
(4) It is way more than noise abatement etc. Consider that you lived in a small terraced house with no front garden and a small road in front of you, and then a soccer pitch. Now consider a gantry big enough for a Tunnel Boring Machine big enough for 2 railway sized tunnels, all the spoil for 3.5 Km coming out, and all this operating on a 24 hour basis for 5 years? And all this when there is a 72 acre site a few hundred metres away, largely empty and an even larger industrial site to the west of that with multiply vacant units.

If the project is delayed it will be completely Irish Rails fault for not looking adequately at the alternatives. There is no plausible reason why the tunnel boring machine launch pit should have been put in the pond field and not further west in the works estate. If the job is going to be done at all:
(1) It should be done properly
(2) All stakeholders must be consulted fully (not just informed by glossy brochures and spin)
Oisin,

You dont happen to live in the area affected by the plans by any chance do you?
The amount of emotion in your post would indicate that either you do, or you have some bone to pick with IE or the present government.
If either of the above are true, I really cant see how you can post on this subject with any objectivity.

I can see the bigger picture very clearly.
The big picture is that a relatively small group of people are threatening to hold up a piece of infrastructure that will benefit a far larger group.
This is a problem that is endemic in irish society today.

I would implore you to reread my post, particularily the part of it that says if IE do things properly.

Also what evidence have you for your statement below?
"Remember also that the original engineers were probably told "we want it to go from here to here" and had to work with that"

Are you an engineer, or have you got any experience of large infrastructure projects? What is your interest in the interconnector?
ColmmacO is offline   Reply With Quote