View Single Post
Unread 10-08-2010, 06:13   #48
corktina
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the move View Post
It might have taken an 11-hour round trip, but after getting to Waterford, I took the Waterford-Rosslare line today. While there was no overcrowding, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to see what exactly we'll be missing when the line is closed.

All it did for me, was confirm my belief that rail lines should not be closed anywhere, let alone in Ireland. Yes, it's not financially viable now, but few lines are. With buses setting new speed records in getting from A to B, outdoing each other to see who can run more frequently than the competition, on ever-improving roads, Irish Rail seriously needs to get a grip and put on competing services, before the whole network is not financially viable.

They have just a few hundred kilometres of track to service in one country, unlike their counterparts in Europe, on a daytime only schedule. Just how difficult can they possibly make it for people to use?

Ironic isnt it that the one route they especially want to close is the one that is much shorter than the road!

As Mr Dowling says, whats needed is the best possible TT making as many connections as possible in as many places as possible including if it can be done, the ferry sailings.When all thats in place, it then needs to be extensively advertised and promoted. (I dont think IE will be up for this and Id support privatisation of these services)

Quick note to IE management: these things are your JOB to do, not sit in some office somewhere underperforming.Go out there and prove me wrong!
corktina is offline   Reply With Quote