View Single Post
Unread 19-01-2007, 22:34   #14
Derek Wheeler

2007 and the reality.

Most of the Ballybrophy line (as far as Killonan Junct.) has an official track speed of just 40 mph. (apparently some tour de france participants reach that speed on a bicycle)

There are 2 services on the line in each direction, Mon-Sat. 1 service each way on a Sunday. The line has very poor track and ancient signalling. Station facilities are extremely poor. It could very easily be used in a period piece film and fool the audience without much set dressing. The only semblence of anything modern is the railcar that trundles along it. (and this is only a recent addition)

There are no plans within IE to do anything. It has no part in either Transport21 or the forthcoming NDP. In a country that is reopening a virtually abandoned railway between Ennis and Athenry (for a Limerick - Galway link) how can an operating railway through the towns of Roscrea and Nenagh en route to the city of Limerick be left to survive on basic maintenence and poor services? The answer is very simple.

The development of rail transport in Ireland is not based on professional understanding. Its not based on evaluation. Its not based on a decision made by a knowledgeable transport authority. It isnt even based on need.

The development of rail transport in Ireland is based on the oul Irish political nod/wink concept. Elections are always looming and if a region is in question for Government parties (especially regions represented by back benchers) then you can bet your heart and lungs that all stops will be pulled out to secure the constituency seats. This applies to General elections, bye elections and to a lessor extent European elections.

The people of the west of Ireland dont actually care about the Western Rail Corridor. Its concept was kept alive by a small few. The Ballybrophy - Limerick line is similarly dismissed by those who live along it. Its accepted that the service is crap and the small few who do actually care have failed to make it an issue that could threaten politicians. Therefore any calls for outright upgrade are so hollow, you can see through them. To further reinforce this viewpoint, we must step back in time to 2002. IE wanted to close the route (along with Limerick - Waterford - Rosslare) and had absolutely no interest whatsoever in reopening the WRC in any shape or form. It was at this point that the almost perverse action that is Government action, kicked in. Both lines were "saved" from closure and the WRC was put on the agenda. Roll forward to 2007 and the "saved" lines are still as poor as before (and getting worse) and a section of the WRC is about to be reopened under a presumedly gold plated build. So we know where IE stand on all this. They are merely the prostitutes who do the pimps bidding. So its the pimps we have to study. Our pimps for the purposes of this piece are obviously the Government and the opposition parties. (afterall, I don't recall Enda Kenny committing to an upgrade of the "cinderella" lines, yet I do recall him committing his party to reopening the WRC in full if they were elected to Government!) I hope readers are starting to get the picture.

Where does all of this political baloney leave us? Well, we have a premier line to Cork that has speed restrictions on it, because IE claim the Government havent provided the funds to remove them. We have similar speed restrictions on many other important lines. The two other lines mentioned in this post continue to struggle on a daily basis. We can wonder if IE will even bother to integrate services on them into the forthcoming services between Limerick and Galway. My money is on the negative. Unless off course a politician or two is made aware of it and hey presto representations to IE will be made.

Ive used the word perverse earlier and its all I can use to describe the blindingly obvious bull**** that pervades in this country. As a nation that has no problem proclaiming its economic rise to stardom, please tell this scribe why we let politicians set up scenarios in rail transport that would embarass any third world nation who suddenly got cash rich. Operating railways are being left to rot, while we open new ones! Trust me, history will be cruel to this.

The phrase, "only in Ireland" must have come from somewhere as its totally at odds with the "only in America" phrase which is associated with great things. I am personally making this shambles an election issue with all relevent candidates in the areas mentioned.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote