View Single Post
Unread 13-02-2012, 08:12   #23
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
In simple terms as there is no return trip proposed, the ETS staff is going to have to be brought back sometime. Its unclear if its a normal ETS instrument or a simple one as per Nenagh

The arrangements in Ballybrophy are not designed for daily use and appear to require a additional member of staff to operate a local signalling panel. Limerick Dublin is reasonably easy, Dublin Limerick is a nightmare

Regardless the journey Nenagh Ballybrophy is painful to say the least and nothing is going to change there, be fun to see how quickly the track deteriorates as an ICR is a lot heavier than a 2700.

No online booking either...
Yes I also understand there will be no direct evening service, but there will be additional services and improved connections.

As I said in my previous post there is signalling equipment at Ballybrophy jointly controlling (with CTC) the connection between the mainline and the branch. Amongst other controls this equipment requires the Ballybrophy/Roscrea ETS staff to be at Ballybrophy. The signalling equipment will presumeably be operated by the on-duty station staff.

This urban myth about there being some issue in returning the ETS staff (to Roscrea) is just that. Once the through service has left the branch and the signals and points are normalised, the ETS staff is simply popped in the instrument at Ballybrophy putting the ETS circuit in phase and allowing the signalman at Roscrea withdraw a staff. Job done, everything back to normal, sky still in place.

The setup at Nenagh in terms of ETS is different. The signals and points at Nenagh are controlled by a local groundframe, released by the Birdhill/Roscrea ETS staff. There is a special uni directional token to facilitate the Nenagh/Limerick commuter service.

Last edited by Inniskeen : 13-02-2012 at 08:17.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote