View Single Post
Unread 17-04-2010, 16:05   #98
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Taxi fares will not be saved - they are using Bus Eireann to ferry crew back to Rosslare. This is why the 1720 ex Waterford can't be deferred as the crew can't secure the train and get to the bus in time, and IE don't seem to be able to persuade "the sister company" (aka the competition) to defer the bus.

I had the same thought re: Campile, given that this is where the diversion is greatest but given the nature of the signalling a cutback to Wellingtonbridge would probably be easier to do and a replacement bus would be able to pick up the R733 (although it means more LCs retained and Taylorstown Viaduct). It would also mean deadheading the train to and from Waterford station in the mornings and evenings as Wellingtonbridge and Campile are hardly likely to be considered places to overnight crew or equipment. That seems like saving only to spend again.

A bus goes through Campile from Duncannon in the mornings 24 minutes before the train arrives and arrives 20 minutes later. I'd love to know what the usage of that is right now.

In fairness, my understanding is that layover crews were used for Limerick Junction section services in the past, but there wasn't uptake - there isn't anything in Limerick Junction. Through services to Limerick is the key that don't involve sitting in Limerick Junction either on the platform or even the same train for half an hour to coordinate with Cork-Dublin.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote