View Single Post
Unread 15-09-2010, 14:54   #29
corktina
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergal View Post
What? Reading to Birmingham is grade-separated dual carriageway the whole way: M4, A34, M40 is a direct route. Britain's motorway and dual carriageway network is comprehensive, and long distance buses are not really popular there - they are seen as only an option for very tight budgets.

Cars are not a huge threat to the rail service, as people who drive a lot don't take the train now, and never did before, and the number of cars in Ireland is not growing.

However, fast, cheap, bus services ARE a threat, especially as they are cheap. But they are not faster than the train on any route yet, and trains will still miles ahead on comfort. Train travel has not suffered a bigger loss then other public transport numbers in this recession yet.

Although, some countries have protected their train service from buses - it's illegal to run intercity bus services in Germany, for example. Not that I would advocate this here.
It is not a direct route...you have to drive 20 miles west before heading North. Noone, except for trucks who are obliged too, uses that route.

I enjoy the relaxing train journey but it doesnt go from where I am to where I want to be like my car does , it takes longer (and a lot longer as more mways open) and it costs a lot more. I can also bring passengers with me for free. No contest Im afraid and my point is that a lot more people will be following that path as they realise the train is not quicker, not cheaper and not easier.
corktina is offline   Reply With Quote