View Single Post
Unread 16-07-2013, 20:16   #28
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

You have to be careful when talking about cuts to services, for what I think are sound business reasons.

These days, a train may make 3 to 5 single intercity journeys in a day. Some of these may be lightly loaded, but they are part of a longer link, so they can't be dropped without disrupting other services.

Also the marginal cost of train operation is probably much lower now: you don't need quite as many passengers to cover the costs of operating a 3-car ICR as you would have with a 201 and 9 MkIIIs.

When the hourly Cork service was introduced, it lead to increased patronage, even allowing for the general bubble-era boom in traffic. Good frequency attracts custom and lower frequency would also mean more stops on the Cork line and thus an even worse competitive situation vis-a-vis the motorway.

Jamie2k9: The Galway line had its service level increased this year, against the general trend, so I assume that business maust be good. (for what it's worth, the 2 trains I was on yesterday were well-filled)
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote