View Single Post
Unread 04-02-2009, 15:10   #24
dermo88

Any proposal to rebuild the Rosslare line between Bray and Wicklow, in my eyes is fantasy in the current financial climate. We are effectively talking of a brand new double track formation, much along the lines of the proposals made in the 1900's. You can clearly see the old deviation on the link supplied by Mark. To do that to serve Greystones (10,000 people), and Wicklow (5,000) does not seem worth it for the limited return on expenditure.

Passenger numbers have improved over the last few years, but speeds are still pedestrian. Considering the very nature of the route, I think it is inevitable that it has a difficult future ahead. Its a pity really from a sentimental perspective. From a practical perspective, I reckon they will have to throw in the towel eventually.

Covering up the most vulnerable parts of the route with a protective shelter from rockfalls seems to be the cheapest and most practical alternative. Thats how its done in the likes of Switzerland and Canada. The coastal erosion problem is another matter, its unique as railways go in that regard.
dermo88 is offline   Reply With Quote