View Single Post
Unread 19-02-2008, 23:23   #12
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurakan View Post
I have spoken to my local TD about it today! The reason Irish Rail did not want it in the public domain was becoz they had a clerical error in compiling the rosters when the new timetable was implemented in December. Do u remember the 06.30 portlaoise train did not go the first couple of mornings as sceduled? anyway rather than have egg on their face they have been told to communicate it as an operational problem. I bought an annual ticket this year because of the new 6.30am service! Otherwise I was going to drive to Newbridge/Kildare! Because I bought this ticket and Irish Rail have not provided the service due tot heir mistake can I sue them for breach of contact?
Hurakan, welcome to the board.
my advice to you would be to first write to Irish rail and complain about this, pointing out you spent whatever your annual ticket cost to get the new early morning service. You will probably get no response, this is not so important.
Next you should complain to the national consumer agency, 1890 432432, complaining that Irish rail mislead you into paying for your annual ticket in contravention of the Consumer Protection Act. section 43 (3) (b) (ii)
Misleading consumers is a criminal offence since the start of last summer.

You probably won't get much satisfaction here either, but you could probably get recompense from the small claims court if your ticket cost is below the threshold, and you have given up on travelling by train if the service is no longer there.
you would need to keep some record of the original timetable listing the early train, and some daily record of the train not running.

I see you've talked to a td. assuming it's a opposition td, and you get no satisfaction from the national consumer agency , you might complain to your td about that too- the nca was set up by Micheal Martin and he's still the minister responsible -

If you do (or don't) get any satisfaction, let us know.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote