Thread: Rail Rovers
View Single Post
Unread 27-07-2008, 13:34   #11
david673
New to the board

Gentlemen,

I toured Ireland last September for 6 days using the rail network.

Good points: Dublin to Cork stock, friendly staff, lots of diesel hauled services (yes I know they are fast dissapearing this year), wonderful scenery, Dublin tram system, and the fact that your government is prepared to put money in to opening old railway lines.

Bad points: Using unsuitable suburban stock on the Rosslare line, one ticket inspector at Cork so train left 15 mins late whilst rest of staff stood watching, no trains running between Waterford and Limerick with no signs to say this, so muggings was stood on platform whilst bus was outside!

In August I am hoping to go to Westport, Balinna, Sligo and hopefuly travel between Waterford and Limerick without going on a bus.

I can understand people moaning about the rail service if you live outside of the Dublin area, as some lines have very poor services. However from what I have read things are a lot better than 10 years ago and the new lines and stock are being built. Yes things are very laid back but isn't that half the charm of Ireland, compare it to manic London and the South east of England. At least you will all live longer from less stress.

Where would be the joy of travelling if every country and its rail system was identical.

I promise to report back in late August.

All the best,

David
david673 is offline   Reply With Quote