View Single Post
Unread 18-03-2009, 01:14   #16
Traincustomer

Default Thoughts...

Mulling over the last two posts... I think we need a publicised and co-ordinated approach. I know what you mean regarding possibly not needing buses in other locations - assuming one's destination in the city is near the station. And also we simply don't have the convenience of local bus networks in other places or ones that don't really link with rail as the Athlone example shows.

I think the bus "add-on" product needs to be differentiated into a basic add-on i.e. just a single/return journey (like 90/92 from Heuston) and an unlimited all-day usage of local buses within a defined zone.

Certainly Cork, Limerick and Galway could have this. Waterford too but this is hindered by the fact that only inbound Tramore buses (and no city services per se) serve Plunkett Stn. so it involves a minimum 5 min walk.

Balbriggan too - the Bus Éireann town service.

Wexford is a good example of where buses and trains are physically close together. The Bus Éireann services just outside the building and Wexford Bus Town and local services just a minute's walk at two stops around Redmond Square. Ideally we could have integration between Irish Rail andsay Wexford Bus's Town Service (it was done with an independent - Aerdart; (Howth Jct - Airport) a few years ago)

Helpful info:
A meagre number of Athlone Town Services link Golden Island with the Bus/Railway station (the one place) but I agree with you jscales1 that this needs to be a regular thing.

In case it is of help the services are:
Route 459:
0835 Golden Island - Bus/Rail Stn 845am -Willow Park 855
0855 Willow Park - Golden Isd 905 - Bus/Rail Stn 910
0910 Bus/Rail Stn - Willow Park
1750 Willow Pk, 1800 Golden Isd - arr Bus/Rail Stn 1805
1835 Willow Pk, 1845 Golden Isd - arr Bus/Rail Stn 1850

Route 459A
Monksland d 1815, Golden Isd. d 1830; Bus/Rail Stn a 1835
(All operate Monday to Saturday inclusive)
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote