View Single Post
Unread 18-05-2012, 20:37   #14
ccos

For what its worth, I think its time to end the argument about the Ennis-Athenry line, for better or worse the boat on its reopening has long sailed.
Are the few people who use the route now rail users or not and have they no less right to be represented by the RUI.
Its all well and good saying I told u so but the line is open and now the focus must be on getting it to work.

First, there seems to be a fixation in Ireland with line speed vs cars, in my experience people with cars (unless commuting into a city centre) would rather eat their hat then use a train, when visiting friends in Ennis they always offer to drive to Limerick, thinking I'd have to be daft to get the train. I use trains because I have no car but like to move around.
There are in my experience 3 things this or any other line in Ireland needs to boost numbers and attract passengers.
1. More services, people, especially young people like the idea of turning up whenever and getting a train wherever, do you think the DART would carry 10% of its current passngers with only 10% of the services. All routes should have an hourly service, especially now we have railcars.
Connections, If I travel Waterford Limerick I have to wait a long time in Lmk Jctn for a train ???? The Dublin Galway train should connect nicely with the Athenry-Ennis service, they want to stop the Limerick Nenagh service, the last time I was tried to get it my Train from Ennis( the first for two hours) missed it by a matter of minutes. Time trains to arrive at junctions together and leave together. Try to go Cobh- Midleton, it takes over an hour outside peak.
Trains. Commuter sets are not ideal for Waterford Galway, its not as if they need the Density, Train Travel on 2200s or mark 4 is so much more comfartable, couldnt some railcars be modified for "regional work" to have a better set up for this route.

Last edited by ccos : 18-05-2012 at 20:39.
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote