View Single Post
Unread 18-09-2010, 18:28   #49
on the move
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson
With due respect you haven't met the NTA nor spoken to one of the private operators. Thanks to the EU cost wise the private operator only pays a charge based on network average cost so the high running costs of the line cannot be passed on to the private operator, so its good for us very bad for Irish Rail. If Irish Rail block a third party they will find themselves in trouble.

Irish Rail will be punished if the line is not maintained to the agreed standard.

And if you knew anything about Waterford Rosslare you would know the train is 30 minutes faster so the bus argument cannot hold.
Raillines have been closed before, a few have only recently been re-opened following decades of inertia, many others remain closed. Unlike in the UK and across Europe, one operator rules the roost here with regard to rail transport, and they've just closed this line within the past hour.

Commuters will get used to the bus and will support it. As they did last year with a much busier traffic route. The roads are very good now, and will get better again leading to ever faster journey times.

I did the journey only last month, and I want the line to remain open to the public. However I know that realistically, it won't be opened again.