View Single Post
Unread 23-04-2008, 21:09   #20
eoin
New to the board

All this outrage is just stupid. This entire thread is based on the premise that a riciculously inaccurate and poorly researched article in the Independent is true. I entirely agree that government policy, political interference and shirking of responsibility have resulted in the mess that is Dublin's public transport system and the agencies that run it.

But the idea that developing a single Dublin Transport brand is somehow underhand and vote-seeking is ludicrous. People don't vote for Ken Livingstone because the Underground, DLR and London Buses use the same logo. I very much doubt that the DTA is going to demand that public transport providers use a single livery. It would probably generate negative publicity if anything.

A single brand would be excellent. More importantly a single information scheme would be excellent and would encourage uptake of public transport. Yes, the system's a shambles. But that's no reason why people shouldn't be given decent information on how to use what's there. A united brand, website and system for the display of information would be a huge step forward. With integrated ticketing, obviously.

I'm actually quite disappointed by the reaction of RUI committee members in this regard. I thought lack of information was one of RUI's major complaints with Irish Rail.
eoin is offline   Reply With Quote