View Single Post
Unread 13-10-2008, 13:05   #17
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnyus View Post
Hi all (first post on RUI),

I am living in Cork, and when I go to Croker I normally go to Maynooth and get a train to Drumcondra. Its handy. I have always been met by an 8 piece 29000. The one thing I have noticed is how slow it travels into the city, even if its not crowded.

Are there any plans to upgrade the speed as well? What's the average travel time? 40mins? Seems a bit mad for the distance involved. I know there are manual level crossings on the line, so that might have something to do about it, but there are some bigger manual crossings on the Cork-Dublin line around Charleville with 100mph running.

Back in August I travelled to Carrig-on-Shannon on the Sligo line from Connolly. We were late leaving Connolly, but we actually bombed it all the ways. I was in shock with the speed the 29000 class were doing. Thanks to the padded timetable we arrived in Carrig 2 minutes early.

Apologies if I have been too technical in my posting, I just always wondered why the speeds were so slow on the Maynooth line.

F.
Hi Finnyus, welcome to the board!

You raise a good question re. speeds on the line I reckon it could be either down to the outdated signalling on the line or that with there being increased number of trains on the line on match days, it could be just a queue!

Re. the Sligo train, there is a 20 minute gap on the Maynooth line to give way to the Sligo train, to enable the Sligo train a quick journey connolly-maynooth without any obstacles? while it is a good thing it does affect the Maynooth line in particlar between 4.40 and 5.15 there are no Maynooth commuter services.

There is nothing wrong with being too technical if it affects journey times!

Last edited by ThomasJ : 13-10-2008 at 13:08.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote