View Single Post
Unread 20-05-2012, 20:31   #14
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
Inniskeen, I'm not privy to the workings of IE, bizarre as they seem to the outsider. However, I can only presume that the crossover removal was deemed to be some form of cost cutting. I also don't know why the DART runs more slowly to Greystones now than diesels did (although the benchmark year is surely 1995 rather than 1984) but I do observe that without an answer it's about as useful a discussion as reminiscing about how the Nenagh branch used to be good for 70mph which usually brings on a queasy feeling about the risk profile IE used to run pre-RSC. If I were to speculate perhaps a more conservative approach to Bray Head is being taken given the hazards from above and below or that it relates to ATP somehow.

As a company which runs at an annual loss in the hundreds of millions, it has no cash of its own to fund capital improvements so yes, if we want improvements to curve radii or grade separation of Merrion Gates or the many other deficiencies of the east coast line then government has to fund them.
Diesels are currently faster than DARTs between Bray and Greystones.

DART started in 1984 with running times remaining unchanged for a decade
or more. Not sure why 1995 would be the reference year ?

I am not aware of Irish Rail having any particular ambitions for the Rosslare line - if they have proposals for operational improvements they haven't entered the public domain.

As with so many aspects of railway operations, improvements do not necessarily require additional capital expenditures. Remember that huge sums have already been spent on rolling stock, track, signalling, bridges, level crossings and fencing. Is the investment that has taken place already being used to best effect ?
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote