View Single Post
Unread 22-08-2009, 11:37   #38
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

It's extreemly lucky that those 50 passengers on the Balbriggan to Connolly train were safe.

The driver noticed a subsidance on the obosite side of the track as he passed.

So he stopped and called in, and soon after it all collapsed.

Scary to think how frequently hundreds of people rocket over that section.

A full, proper rush hour train either south in the morning or north in the evening would have hundreds of people on board. It could have been unbelievably horrific.

But those 50 are safe and probably didn't even notice.

As for what will happen now i'm just shocked at the implications.

My mother and myself have to figure out the best way to get from Drogheda to Dublin.

Our current thinking is take the car to Portmarnock.

Or get the 101 from Drogheda and Park in the station.

Overall i don't know what kind of service's and extra buses they will run but it will be a disaster to organise.

The Skerries Freight Derailment last year was poorly managed to say the least.

This could also be.

What are the Bus contingency plans?

Will Donabate North to Skerries/Balbriggan also recieve shuttle Trains to A unified bus point or extra buses into dublin at stations not capable of handling the traffic.

How will the fleet be maintained over 3 weeks?

There has to be several trains stuck in Dublin. At least 4 or so maybe even more, that can't get back to Drogheda for Repairs.

All other 29k's shared with Southern Commuter service's and Maynooth Service's will also be out of luck.

Thankfully most of the 22k's are now running so this isn't that many, but it puts massive pressure on the Maintenance facilities in Dublin, Ie Connolly.

Will Trains be sent west for repair??

And why is the Enterprise fully suspended? Surely at least 2 remain up north?

There is 5 or so engines and 4 set's of carriage's. NI and IE can easily spare Northern Line trains to keep the Business of Enterprise going between Drogheda and Belfast, or even as far south as Skerries/Balbriggan.

Sending a coach as far north as Belfast directly is a waste of petrol and capacity. Transferring to remaining trains earlier will save time and allow more people to head back to Dublin.

There's far to many issue's to think about.

This is going to be awful!