Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Galway - Limerick - Waterford - Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-01-2011, 13:53   #61
CorkALVIN
New to the board

Any more news about if anything is happening about getting the line reopened? Not surprised that the replacement bus service has totally collapsed during the periods of snow; IE should have specially reopened the line over the Christmas period only as a link for the Ferry passengers.

the best way to treat the Rosslare-Waterford link is to regard it as a EUROROUTE, part of an international route for Intercity travel rather than local stops such as Wellington Bridge and Bridgetown, which could remain as request only if the line reopens. As a Euroroute, surely the line should get EU funding as a priority; after all it is us EU taxpayers from countries such as Great Britain who have reluctantly had to help fund the ruinous splurge of motorway-building in Ireland: where is the money going to come from in years to come to maintain all these new road links such as the Suir bridge or the Lee Tunnel in Cork? If road-building and Rail Routes were to have a level playing field in the EU, you would see road tunnels such as the Lee Tunnel shut down in about 20 years time as renewal costs bite!

Any thoughts about trying to get a private rail service going on the Waterford-Rosslare Route using a lightweight singe-car diesel railcar such as the very successful Regio-Sprinters or 'Regio-Shuttles' on many lines in Germany? Also, it would be best to have the service run by a partnership similar to the Penistone Line partnership in Yorkshire, England, near where I am based; this is a very successful non-heritage based group (i. e. NO steam-trains) as steam trains are an unnecessary diversion from the need to maintain a practical modern rail service for all needs.
Unread 15-01-2011, 16:36   #62
chrisoleary
New to the board

Hi there, I can see that this forum is focused on providing a service to the 21st Century Irish rail passenger and I hope this post is not too far off the topic of saving Waterford-Rosslare.

In the 1970s the rail bridge over the River Barrow between Waterford and Wellingtonbridge was far and away the most direct link from southern County Wexford to Waterford- the closest road route went through New Ross. Has that changed? If not, IE has failed to capitalise on a major advantage.

My interest is as the great-grandson of an Irish railwayman who died in an accident on the line shortly after it was opened in 1906. I know my great-grandfather's surname was Carr and he died in a head-on collision, leaving a widow and ten children who then moved to a railwayman's hostel at Rosslare.

I cannot find any description through search engines. Can anyone here provide a suitable link?
chrisoleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-06-2021, 16:04   #63
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The line is not closing, its being suspended which is quite different. Independent engineering consultants will review the line on a regular basis. If the line is not maintained in line with the agreed standard (which will go further than Irish Rail's proposal to the NTA) Irish Rail will be required by contract to sort it out.
A couple of weeks ago, I took the first train of the day down from Dublin to Waterford and cycled to Rosslare, returning back to Dublin on the last train.

There are a couple of level crossings near Wellingtonbridge where my road route came close to the old railway line. I'm not sure what standard has to be maintained on this line, but from what I could see there were plenty of high weeds along the line and the level crossings were silted up - it's clearly a long time since a train went along this route to ensure its viability is maintained.

I'd prefer to see this route reinstated rather than turn it into another Greenway - the road route is quiet enough anyway. Some upgrade will definitely be required though.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2021, 10:03   #64
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

There was a weed-spraying train went along it a couple of months ago. I think it goes down twice a year. Earlier in the year, the road under the rail bridge by Duncormick station had a significant slippage on it. While the rail bridge itself seemed unaffected, I'm guessing it didn't get the level of inspection that there would have been if the rail line was active. More than likely if there are issues that would prevent the viability of any reopening, it will be unseen ones on the major engineering structures rather than weeds, which are easy enough to remove. The Barrow Bridge, as a particularly large and complex structure, would be the biggest area of concern
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote