Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 27-05-2008, 17:57   #21
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Any news regarding the 22ks on this line? No excuses now, with the new signalling. And when are the six-car sets being delivered???
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-05-2008, 18:26   #22
ThomasJ

Its not possible to put them on the rosslare intercity line given the connections with commuter services. December it looks like. [apart from the 16:40 connolly and return and the 06:00 gorey connolly]

I am not sure the platforms are big enough for six coach sets i personally dont think they [six coach sets] will be going on the rosslare line.

I reckon they will build the timetable around three three- coach 22k sets.

Last edited by ThomasJ : 27-05-2008 at 18:31.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-05-2008, 18:34   #23
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Once training is complete the 16:40 Dublin Gorey will be one of the new 3 car sets

Rosslare will see either 3 car or pairs of 3 cars, but not the full 6 car set with first class
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-05-2008, 19:57   #24
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Once training is complete the 16:40 Dublin Gorey will be one of the new 3 car sets

Rosslare will see either 3 car or pairs of 3 cars, but not the full 6 car set with first class
Well the least they can do is put a 2x3 car set on the rosslare line for the new timetable. Platforms should be long enough.If they could take a 7 coach mark II set plus the locomotive in the past...

Do you know have any of the 6 car sets with first class arrived in Ireland yet.If not when?
Unread 27-05-2008, 20:21   #25
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Not all of the platforms are long enough for a six 22000 railcars. I know the far side platform at Enniscorthy just barely fits six 2800s.

However I'm told the 22000s have selective door-opening and so this might not be a huge problem.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2008, 18:24   #26
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Default R.E 6 car 22000 first class

When is the first 22000 6car set to be introduced? What will its first class coach be like???
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2008, 07:34   #27
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Unhappy

Any sight of a 22k on the dublin-rosslare line yet? the 6 car sets (with 1st class) won't deployed on the rosslare line.what a pity
Unread 08-07-2008, 15:02   #28
shweeney
Regular Poster

the 1640 is still being operated by commuter carriages - no sign of the new trains 2 months after they were first promised.
shweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2008, 23:30   #29
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Its been 4 years now since those horrible bright green commuter railcars arrived on the wexford line.they've outstayed their welcome. time for the new 22ks to be introduced NOW. or put some mark 3 trains on this line in the meantime because there must be free sets available with all the 22ks being introduced on every other flippin line
Unread 11-07-2008, 11:54   #30
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimity View Post
put some mark 3 trains on this line in the meantime because there must be free sets available with all the 22ks being introduced on every other flippin line
funny you should say that since there are some funny movements of mark3 push pulls recently.
Unread 11-07-2008, 12:03   #31
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

But Mk3 coaches are not suitable for the Rosslare line, few problems with platforms, locomotives, and accessibility

The new trains are ordered curiously a few weeks after we had a meeting with IE, there are staff training issues due to the ongoing shortage of staff, combined with a delay in the trains arriving means they missed the 2008 timetable. There is a huge change coming in December 2008 current Rosslare timetable is merged with Dublin suburban so you can't use Mk3 coaches

Whats killing Rosslare is the horribly slow journey and dodgy frequencies not the trains
Unread 11-07-2008, 20:52   #32
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
But Mk3 coaches are not suitable for the Rosslare line, few problems with platforms, locomotives, and accessibility

The new trains are ordered curiously a few weeks after we had a meeting with IE, there are staff training issues due to the ongoing shortage of staff, combined with a delay in the trains arriving means they missed the 2008 timetable. There is a huge change coming in December 2008 current Rosslare timetable is merged with Dublin suburban so you can't use Mk3 coaches

Whats killing Rosslare is the horribly slow journey and dodgy frequencies not the trains
Quote:
Its been 4 years now since those horrible bright green commuter railcars arrived on the wexford line.they've outstayed their welcome. time for the new 22ks to be introduced NOW. or put some mark 3 trains on this line in the meantime because there must be free sets available with all the 22ks being introduced on every other flippin line
Its funny you mentioned this as I've just said this to myself today its been four years since the replacement of the mk2 intercity set with the 2700 flippin commuters and I agree they have OUTSTAYED their welcome. Even those 5car mk3 p/p set with the 071 class locomotive but Mark as you've said a number a problems arise with the suburban services. Freqenices are not good enough as I've said this today to a Gorey counselor. I would love to get people to do a survey on what times they would like and problems they want to be looked into.
Unread 11-07-2008, 23:21   #33
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa7iucvmkqo
What's this?
Unread 11-07-2008, 23:27   #34
KSW
Really Regular Poster

MK3's on Rosslare no way!!.... That doesnt happen

Last edited by KSW : 11-07-2008 at 23:30.
Unread 12-07-2008, 11:11   #35
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There is a trip to the Wexford Opera each year non stop to Wexford, Mk2 coaches have done it as well

Platforms are too short at many stations, the 22k fleet is supposed to have selective door opening which gets around that. Wexford is the longest platform in the country btw

Since the Rosslare line fleet is accessible to current standards, going back to Mk3 coaches would be a very significant step back.

The Mk3 is a great coach but unless some serious refurbishment is done you really want to avoid them. They are falling apart at the moment. Air conditioning is joke, the wheels are end of life, doors are giving trouble, push pull systems suspect. Irish Rail are dumping them, we have filed protests but no change. All well and good have a comfortable seat, but when the electrics die you will be pleading for the 28 and 29k fleet

201 class locomotives are banned south of Bray on passenger services. 071 class can't do push pull. At this stage there is no one in Rosslare trained to drive either, and you would need a guard.

In the time between now and December there is no feasible alternative, if there was we would be jumping up and down about it. The 2008/9 timetable depends on there been staff to run the extra trains which don't exist
Unread 13-07-2008, 11:25   #36
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

A few valid points but i get the vibe that your just anti-mark3 and anti-locomotive.
Dosen't have to be a push-pull. 071 plus 5 mk3 carraiges would do nicely.
Unread 13-07-2008, 17:03   #37
ThomasJ

Its nothing to do with the trains being used its the rosslare track. Both the mk2s and railcars have had problems on this line.

There has been more problems on locomotive hauled trains than on railcars the whole argument that the train might make things easier is rubbish.

The issue regarding trains been used on the line should not be as big ben issue as the time been taken on rail vs road and i am sure people will realise that eventually. There is a rumour going around that clockface timetables are on the way with ten minute peak and fifteen minute off peak on the dart line in next years timetable. If this is true it wont make life easier for the rosslare line. It will longer journeys

Last edited by ThomasJ : 13-07-2008 at 17:37.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-07-2008, 19:12   #38
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
going back to Mk3 coaches would be a very significant step back.
Towards the trains we have now those MK3 trains would be a significant forwards..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
If this is true it wont make life easier for the rosslare line. It will longer journeys(DART)
They will have to look at something for all Rosslare/Gorey services the time distance between Bray & Connolly is ridiculous.

Why do all Rosslare services stop at DunLaogaire, Pearse & Tara Street were there people complaining about the two city stations and the DunLaoghaire station for boat connections which btw do not connect to the Rosslare trains at all

Quote:
A few valid points but i get the vibe that your just anti-mark3 and anti-locomotive.
Dosen't have to be a push-pull. 071 plus 5 mk3 carraiges would do nicely.
Unread 13-07-2008, 19:19   #39
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

Quote:

Although the slow nature of the journey is somewhat attributable to the bendy, hilly nature of the line, a major contributing factor is the fact that it is single track between Bray and Rosslare. While passing loops are present at 3 or 4 stations, a train still has to stall until the oncoming train arrives before continuing on. This can increase the journey length substantially. I am pretty sure that between the bends and hills the train could go much faster than it currently does. However, with a single track this cannot be acheived.

The speed of service can also have a huge effect on it's frequency. I'm not saying double the entire length of the track. However, I would suggest the following. Bray-Greystones could remain single track to cut costs. This stretch takes between 10 and 15 mintues to cover. From Greystones to Arklow/Gorey/Enniscorthy could be double tracked. From here, it would remain single track as far as Rosslare Europort. If this where the case, Gorey could potentially have an hourly service where every second train would be going to and from Rosslare thereby giving it a two hourly frequency similar to Sligo. I'm not sure when the last train would leave. The last stop for all DART services would have to be Bray to give way to the more frequent Commuter and Intercity Trains. It's just a suggestion. What do you think?
paddyb180285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-07-2008, 19:34   #40
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyb180285 View Post
The speed of service can also have a huge effect on it's frequency. I'm not saying double the entire length of the track. However, I would suggest the following. Bray-Greystones could remain single track to cut costs. This stretch takes between 10 and 15 mintues to cover. From Greystones to Arklow/Gorey/Enniscorthy could be double tracked. From here, it would remain single track as far as Rosslare Europort. If this where the case, Gorey could potentially have an hourly service where every second train would be going to and from Rosslare thereby giving it a two hourly frequency similar to Sligo. I'm not sure when the last train would leave. The last stop for all DART services would have to be Bray to give way to the more frequent Commuter and Intercity Trains. It's just a suggestion. What do you think?
Like it!!
Im sure if your a user on the line its depends on the driver, I have witnessed Wicklow to Greystones 12mins and Wicklow-Rathdrum 11min and the hilly nature from Rathdrum to Arklow took just 14mins and from Arklow-Gorey 10mins on one occasion so my take would be to add 2mins for the train to get passengers on/off and continue which is enough lets be honest as the drivers dont usually wait for after 40secs...

Just the section from Bray to Connolly gets to me every time!!! Its 13mins Bray to DunLaoghaire from there to Connolly 15mins that 30mins total I know Dart and commuter trains count Rosslare isnt a good service passenger wise but really have you ever wondered why... This line always gets neglected thats now I see it....