Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 17-12-2006, 20:42   #1
BrianDeBruce
New to the board

Default Sallins service in 2007

Hi,

I recently read with delight that Sallins commuters where getting a direct service at 17.25 in the evenings.

I now see on the Irish Rail site that the 17.15 is now not stopping at Sallins.

How is this of benefit to anybody using Sallins? This will not help overcrowding as the service is down as Intercity and it's the first real service of the evening. So there is less room, and it will be slow to get off the train because of the single doors.

And how does this help people who want to get back to creches in time etc.? Would we not be better off the way it was and getting in 10 minutes earlier?

Doesn't make sense to me at all.

Please tell me it's wrong!

Thanks,

Brian.
BrianDeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-12-2006, 21:07   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I haven't seen a full printed copy but the issue is one of capacity

The 17:10 first stop is Newbridge then all Athlone
The 17:15 all stops except Sallins to Newbridge
The 17:25 to Limerick calls first Sallins

They are spreading out the stops to spread the loadings to provide capacity, there has been a lot of consultation on this and I know two rail users groups requested changes and got something

Sallins did get a extra service at 17:50 again non stop to Sallins

17:25, 17:50, 18:10, 18:40

Vs

17:18, 18:05, 18:35

And it is 15-20 minutes from city centre to Heuston

On one level 17:25 will probably suit a lot of people who finish at 5 its give and take it won't suit everyone but there is a decent spread of times and one extra service its much better than last year, so more services more capacity more modern trains and it will also be more punctual thats all positive.

The 17:25 to Limerick will have 60+ more seats than current

There is no perfect solution there will always be people who lose while the majority win thats life, you have our sympathy. In the morning every one wants to arrive to reach there office for 8:55 its impossible to keep everyone happy. Until we have a printed copy we won't be able to see the full picture, there may be options for change but I know already the 17:15 to Newbridge can't stop in Sallins anyway (17:25 is on its tail) the 17:15 is way overcrowded

You do get a Sunday service as well there is a lot of positives

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 17-12-2006 at 21:39.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2007, 04:32   #3
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Good and bad news.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/...ew&news_id=226
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2007, 13:47   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The 17:15 does now call in Sallins which will delay the 17:25
Unread 07-02-2007, 13:47   #5
James_Lawless
New to the board

Default Sallins Services

Hi guys. James from NASRUG (Naas & Sallins Rail Users) here.

There was certainly an issue prior to this timetable with only 3 evening services ex-Heuston in the 5-7pm window. That has been addressed in this timetable.

However the 17.15 DOES now stop in Sallins also. This is not reflected in the printed timetable but was a concession we extracted for the benefit of cherry orchard -sallins commuters who otherwise were stranded during rush hour.

So 17.15, 17.25, 17.50, 18.10, 18.40

Just re some points below the 17.25 we feel is a more popular train for majority of dublin based commuters - the extra 10 mins give more time to get down the quays and catch the train - whilst still getting home early enough to make the creche etc.

There is much greater choice on the sallins service now than previously with 5 services at evening peak.

IR have also introduced a new morning train at 7.15am ex-Sallins which is similarly not timetabled as recent addition. This was to address overcrowing on the 7.28

Regards, James
James_Lawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2007, 13:59   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Both the 6:30 ex Carlow and 17:15 ex Heuston will cease to call at Sallins from April 10th when Adamstown opens since IE simply swaped Sallins in place of the booked stop in Adamstown till it opens. I know that but IE didn't tell you

For the extremely low usage in Cherry Orchard compared to Sallins its not a priority stop. Of course if you know the timetables and the rules board the 17:15 or 18:50 ex Heuston and go via Newbridge its a legal journey
Unread 07-02-2007, 15:36   #7
James_Lawless
New to the board

Just looked at the online timetables - the 6.30 ex Carlow doesn't mention an Adamstown stop?

There will be war if IR try to remove a service, even an un-timetabled one, once people get used to it. Something for us to keep a close eye on. Thanks.
Unread 07-02-2007, 16:08   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Adamstown is there from April 10th, it should appear online from about the second week of March, its in the published timetables

17:25 hasn't a hope of being on time if the 17:15 calls both Adamstown and Sallins, IE have given a agreement to provide a defined service level to Adamstown so the Adamstown stop is not going anywhere

17:15 would have to lose either Cherry Orchard or Clondalkin to make the difference back, is it worth getting home 5 minutes earlier after all the 17:25 is a proper intercity train with proper seats.

6:30 from Carlow is similar with the early bird from Limerick behind it the extra stop after Adamstown opens would delay every train behind it, the 6:30 is timetable to call Adamstown

Theorem 1 in this business is IE are never up front with the facts
Theorem 2 is what they giveth they taketh away elsewhere

On April 10th there won't be a record to be found that those trains called in Sallins after all its not in the timetable
Unread 07-02-2007, 21:21   #9
James_Lawless
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
17:15 would have to lose either Cherry Orchard or Clondalkin to make the difference back, is it worth getting home 5 minutes earlier after all the 17:25 is a proper intercity train with proper seats.
I would share the view that for Heuston commuters the 17.25 is a much better option however the 17.15 is purely stopping in Sallins to drop off the Cherry Orchard guys. So don't follow the point about getting home 5 mins earlier? The 17.25 doesn't stop in Cherry Orchard, nor would we want it to!

Cherry is a much smaller station usage wise, absolutely, but one rush hour service as opposed to 5 from Heuston is not much to ask.

I await the Adamstown opening with trepidation!
Unread 12-02-2007, 21:20   #10
Derek Wheeler

If we here at P11 ever wanted proof that IE treat user groups like people who don't deserve the truth, then this little debacle is a prime candidate for the top spot.

Mark has explained it well and I will simplfy it further.

If you perform an online search for train times ex Sallins tomorrow morning the 13th February 2007, it will offer you the following;

Now do the same search for the 10th of April (the day Adamstown opens) and you get the following;

Yes the 5 morning "peak trains" have turned to 4.

Im not privvy to the meetings between NASRUG and IE, but if you think that you gained an extra train for Sallins from IE, then they have conned you. This is typical of what IE do. They were alien to dealing directly with customers and when they had no choice, they decided to use their superior position of "rail operator" as a method to right off any positives that could be gained in any service on any timetable. This method also includes downright lies. P11 know how it all works and that is why IE do not like us and that is the way we are happy to have it. The truth hurts them.

I have the greatest respect for NASRUG and all other user groups, but until we somehow amalgamate the cause of the rail user, under a definitive banner, then I fear the IE lies and deceit will go on. In the meantime P11 will continue to pour reality on top of their nonsense and make no bones about it, our top priority is to undo IE spin. I didn't get involved in this to become a "friend" of IE management. They're up there on show and ripe for the taking if they under perform.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote