Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 25-07-2007, 08:43   #1
2Funki4Wheelz

Default [25-7-2007] 5:15 Cork-Dub & 7:20 Portlaoise-Dub

Really dumb management of these trains this morning.

Announcement at Portarlington station at 7:20 that the Cork train is going to be 15 mins late.

The 7:20 ex-Portlaoise which doesn't stop in Portarlington went through about 5 mins ahead of the delayed Cork train.

The logic in this is baffling. The Cork train does not stop between Port and Heuston and very often makes up any late time on the way in.

Sticking it behind the Portlaoise train - which must have absolutely crawled and stops everywhere - turned the Cork train's 15 minute delay into a 30 minute one.

No apologies or awknowledgement of this on board and I didn't hear anything on the PA in Heuston although they may have announced it.

With all the padding in the timetables - both trains could have been on time if the Portaloise train had been held for a couple of minutes to let the Cork one through - it's so obvious!!
Unread 25-07-2007, 13:51   #2
ooleary
Regular Poster

Was on the 8:14(ish) from Kildare to Dublin this morning. (I think - though it may have been the 8:10, I'm never quite sure). Departed late but arrived at around 8:58, 3 minutes late or 7 minutes early depending on which train it was. On arrival in Heuston there was an announcement on the Heuston PA apologizing for a delay, claiming, if I heard it right, that the delay was due to "a track error at Kildare"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Funki4Wheelz View Post
Really dumb management of these trains this morning.

Announcement at Portarlington station at 7:20 that the Cork train is going to be 15 mins late.

The 7:20 ex-Portlaoise which doesn't stop in Portarlington went through about 5 mins ahead of the delayed Cork train.

The logic in this is baffling. The Cork train does not stop between Port and Heuston and very often makes up any late time on the way in.

Sticking it behind the Portlaoise train - which must have absolutely crawled and stops everywhere - turned the Cork train's 15 minute delay into a 30 minute one.

No apologies or awknowledgement of this on board and I didn't hear anything on the PA in Heuston although they may have announced it.

With all the padding in the timetables - both trains could have been on time if the Portaloise train had been held for a couple of minutes to let the Cork one through - it's so obvious!!
ooleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-07-2007, 14:40   #3
StephenM
Regular Poster

So I take it they didn't use the middle track in Kildare to let the Cork train overtake...
StephenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-07-2007, 14:48   #4
2Funki4Wheelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenM View Post
So I take it they didn't use the middle track in Kildare to let the Cork train overtake...
I think our longest wait was outside Kildare. Using the middle track would have been using the head.