Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-08-2015, 20:09   #1
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Default Cork to Galway via Dublin fares

Several Cork to Galway options are offered via Dublin Heuston for €9.99 (in addition to those options via Limerick) right up to the day before departure.

The same individually booked Cork to Dublin and Dublin to Galway trains cost significantly more, and increase as you get closer to the departure date.

I am sure there'll be something in the T&C that says you can't only use such a dual leg ticket for one leg only, but offering such a significant discount for twice the journey is probably not a good idea.

It doesn't seem to apply to any other long distance route.

Last edited by Eddie : 03-08-2015 at 20:40.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2015, 13:00   #2
haddockman
Regular Poster

Would such tickets operate the exit barriers at Heuston?
haddockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-08-2015, 17:58   #3
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

I don't know. If I was to undertake this 2 legged journey, I would want to be able to utilise a wider range of refreshments available from the outlets at Heuston compared to the trollies on the trains and use the waiting time between trains to obtain such refreshments and so I'd ask to be let through the barriers. I think most inspectors would see this as a reasonable request and oblige.

If the ticket price was just the sum of two journeys there'd be no issue.

But because the ticket price is way below either individual journey, you introduce the risk that passengers might buy the longer journey ticket and only use one leg, if they know they can get through.

Irish Rail might even turn a blind eye, even if they know it is happening, since the ticket purchase might count as a passenger that's used the WRC, justifying its existence.

Incidentally, there are also some journeys shown between Limerick and Galway that go via Dublin for the same €9.99.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote